Tuesday, February 24, 2009

volunteers needed for getting fired

Wow. When the economy is bad, companies start getting creative. A lot of companies have been downsizing for years and are just making people take a pay cut because there isn't really anybody else to fire. Some companies still just fire people. And some companies let you decide if you want to get fired.

Nokia is asking for 1,000 of its employees to resign voluntarily. That's right. You have to make the decision as to whether you would like to get fired or not. Who would want to do that?! Getting fired means that the bosses decide that you shouldn't work there anymore. When did that become my decision?! I don't want to decide I'm getting fired! Did you see what the economy is like?!

What would I tell my friends?

"Hey."

"What's up?"

"Not much. I got fired today."

"You did?! Stupid CEO's firing the good workers at their company!"

"Oh, no. It was my decision. They wanted to know who was willing to get fired and I volunteered."

"...oh...uh...so doesn't that mean you quit."

"Nope. I still wanted to work there, but they needed us to decide if we needed to get fired and I figured it was probably best for the company if I let myself go."

"Oh...so...do you want a burrito?"

"Sure. Hook me up!"

I would like a burrito after a tough day of firing myself. I imagine that you would too.

I'm off to give myself a pink slip.

Enjoy!

-DJ

No comments: