Thursday, February 26, 2009

babies can do what?!

Do you know how humans talked 20,000 years ago? I do. I found an article about it. They were curious about conversations of the cave men. Here are the words they think sounded the same: I, we, two, three.

That sounds like a boring conversation.

"I two three."

"Three two we."

"We I three?!"

"TWO THREE WE!!!!!"

"THAT'S AWESOME!!!!!!!!"

I think one person is telling the other one that there is a sale on comic books. Or maybe it has to do with a falling rock. I'm not sure.

So, this story is talking about the evolution of humans and when our heads formed the hyoid bone and dropped the larynx, which allows us to talk. What I found out next will amaze you.

Newborns have a larynx that hasn't dropped yet. This allows babies to drink and breathe at the same time. WHAT?! How did I miss this piece of information my whole life?! And why does this change?!?! We wouldn't choke anymore!!!! Evolution got this backwards!

Imagine coming home for a brisk run (I actually don't know what that's like, but I'm imagining it) and needing a drink. You're breathing heavily, but still want to chug some water. You have to stop breathing to drink. Unless you're a baby. Then you can catch your breath AND drink at the same time!

So what does that tell you? Make your babies run a lot so you can see this happen, because you sure ain't doin' it.

Babies are weird, but maybe I'm just jealous because I can't breathe-drink.

I'm off to three we two I.

Enjoy!

-DJ

No comments: