Thursday, February 5, 2009

the badminton accord

Sometimes the real news stories are NOT on the front page. I found a story that is sure to rock your world. If not rock your world, it might shimmy your world a little bit.

America's badminton team was going to play some games in Iran, but Iran refused to issue them visas.

The Obama administration said that they are disappointed by the situation. The State Department is saying that this is a breakdown of "shuttlecock diplomacy." No joke. That is the term they use.

This breakdown of shuttlecock diplomacy sends a loud message to America that Iranians have good taste in sports. It's almost insulting to think that they have no desire to watch badminton, except for the fact that it's badminton.

The Badminton World Federation hasn't issued a statement yet, but since nobody really knows about the story, nobody has asked for a statement. Also, nobody really cares.

I know I'm not a sports guy, but when was the last time you had a rousing conversation about badminton? Ever? No.

"Whew! Did you see the Australian Badminton Team in the Uber Cup this weekend?!"

"No."

"Man! That smash was amazing!"

"I didn't watch it."

"And that final tumbling netshot?! Cah-ray-zee!"

"Dude...I didn't watch it."

"I guess it's true what they say...badminton is NOT a wrist game!"

"I'm going to walk away from you before I hit you with a real sport."

Then the guy was pummeled by baseballs, footballs and horseshoes.

Let's hope we can get shuttlecock diplomacy working again. World peace is bound to follow.

I'm off to watch the Sudirman Cup.

Enjoy!

-DJ

No comments: