Monday, February 28, 2011

don't you know the dewey decimal system

Some libraries are getting rid of the Dewey Decimal System to go with the more popular "book store" approach.

They say that people are used to browsing for books and pick up what they like. So, organizing books like a store makes people feel more comfortable and might get them to read more.

Now, I have no problem with this, but really, how often do you casually shop around for books about 18th Century Amish cooking?

You ONLY look for that stuff if you have to make yumazitti or if you are doing a report on making yumazitti.

Nobody BROWSES for yumazitti!

You browse for fiction. Maybe some biographies. But research? Who browses to learn? Show me a person who browses for education and I'll show you a deep-fried yumazitti!

What...Paula Deen already did that? Oh. Okay. On a stick, maybe?

The point is, Dewey or not, everything is in the computer. It just has to tell me where to find the book.

Librarians love Dewey, though. If you know a librarian, ask them about Dewey and they'll just talk about him for hours. It's true. And boring.

You know what I COULD have done? I could have just browsed their Book Classification section and read a book on Dewey.

I didn't. And wouldn't. But I COULD have.

I'm off to classificate.

Enjoy Everything.

-DJ

No comments: