Monday, May 18, 2009

things in space

Sometimes we forget that there is stuff in space. You can't see it, so you might not think it's there. Like people. In space. That's pretty amazing.

Not a lot of people have gone into space. This group of astronauts has to fix the Hubble. I love the Hubble. It's a pretty awesome camera. It's even better than my Fisher Price 110 camera. Mostly because I can't buy the film anymore. But partly because I am not in space.

The astronauts have to remove 111 small screws to replace a spectrograph on the Hubble. First of all, when designing the Hubble, why didn't they make, like, 4 big screws. Didn't they know that if repairs were needed to be done in space that people would be wearing space suits?! IN SPACE! Where you can die pretty easily! So you kinda have to wear this giant suit with large gloves!

I know how those guys feel. It's like trying to thread a needle when you have the shakes. Unlucky for me, I always have the shakes, so if I had to thread 111 needles, I might explode. Luckily, though, I AM helpful when a beverage needs be shaken well.

So, they're in space. Fixing stuff that moves 7.7 km/s. (about 25,000 ft/s) I wonder if they are moving that fast. Do they not notice because everything is that fast? Does it not really feel like anything because there is no gravity? If I were running in space, could I catch up with the Flash? Does eating a cherry pie count as a fruit and a whole grain?

So many unanswered questions. Hopefully the Hubble can help us find the answers.

I'm off to walk in space.

Enjoy!

-DJ

No comments: