Tuesday, May 5, 2009

the detector of metal

I was watching one of my cartoons-for-kids-under-the-age-four the other day and it reminded me of something that I had when I was a kid. A metal detector. And much like Kipper and Tiger, I didn't actually find anything.

I'm pretty sure I really wanted one. For some reason. And I'm willing to bet my parents told me that my backyard did not have any buried treasure. Of course, as a child, I did not believe them. I was pretty sure that they didn't even check the premises with their own metal detector and therefore they were under the impression that no treasure existed. Little did I know that pirates do not hide treasure under a blueberry bush in the suburbs.

Still, it seemed like a good a place as any when I was a kid.

I don't know if you ever owned a metal detector, but I'm pretty sure nobody finds anything with them. Well, except maybe that my parents found the beeping annoying, but that's not really a treasure.

Did you ever find anything with a metal detector that you or your parents did not hide underground? I think I once took some quarters and threw them onto the yard to see if I could find them again.

I did not.

Well...not until my dad was mowing the lawn and found out a bunch of quarters were messing up the blades. I guess the lawn mower worked as a better metal detector. That's fun to say, "better metal detector."

I think mine broke soon after I got it. It may have been out of frustration. I can't remember.

So, maybe you were lucky enough to find a Kenner Kiddie Fondue Machine in your yard, but maybe you only found a paper clip. Either way, you found more than I did.

I'm off to look for buried treasure.

Enjoy!

-DJ

No comments: