Monday, November 29, 2010

rhubarb: the other root-lookin' stalky vegetable-fruit

I thought everybody had pie.  But, it seems like pie isn't really what Thanksgiving is all about.  It's about turkey and stuffing and...stuff.

My family has always had a LOT of pies at Thanksgiving.  Like, ten pies or something.  Cherry, blueberry, multi-berry, crunch berry, apple, pumpkin, lemon meringue, etc...

I always ate very little turkey and mashed potatoes because I wanted pie!  But this weekend, a non-family member said, "You guys have a lot of pie.  There's almost one per person!"

I said, "Yeah...isn't that what you do on Thanksgiving?"

Little did I know that most people do not do that.  And that is why I love my family.  Because we have pie-tacular traditions.

Even though I've had lots and lots and lots and lots of pie over the years.  Lots of it.  I never had strawberry/rhubarb pie. 

I found out that it would be featured at this year's feast and was a little skeptical.  With a name like rhubarb, it doesn't really sell itself. 

HOT.  DIGGITY.  DOG.  It is so good!  Strawberry/rhubarb pie has the potential of becoming my third favorite pie.  THIRD!  And if it keeps getting better, we may have to have a tie for second. 

With websites, festivals and t-shirts, rhubarb is a very popular vegetable-fruit.  I say vegetable-fruit because it's a vegetable, but it's taxed like a fruit in the United States because it is used like a fruit.  I don't know how fruits and vegetables are used differently, but fruits have lower taxes. 

I don't know if that's fair or not, but I don't care.  As long as I get my pie. 

I'm off to find a vegetable-fruit.

Enjoy Everything.

-DJ

No comments: