Thursday, April 23, 2009

ban comic sans!?

I would type this in comic sans if blogspot let me. I would be doing it in rebellion. It turns out that graphic designers and people obsessed with typography HATE comic sans. Why? They seem to think it's not professional. They also think it is used too often.

Even the creator of comic sans hates it! Mostly because he invented other typefaces that nobody cares about. Like Magpie. He thinks his Magpie type is amazing.

So, there is a website to ban comic sans. Yes, somebody was so upset about the existence of comic sans that they are doing an online petition.

I don't understand the problem. I know it's not professional. I would never write an essay in this font. Who would? If you did, then you probably got a bad grade for it having an awesome font and not looking boring. That's what usually happens. Being awesome gets you bad grades. Trust me.

As you can imagine, I'm quite fond of comic sans. It came from comic books, so how could I NOT love it!?

If they want to ban comic sans, why not ban most fonts out there and just have everybody type in Times New Roman? Why do we need anything else?

If we're going to ban a typeface, why not ban wingdings! I mean, that one doesn't even type out letter! They're just random symbols!

I bet graphic designers want one typeface so they can always look creative using all the others. That's all it really is. They're just lazy. You can argue with me, but if we only had Helvetica, anytime you asked for something special from the arts department, they could whip out some comic sans and you would think they were brilliant!

Not anymore.

I'm off to type in comic sans.

Enjoy!

-DJ

No comments: