Friday, August 29, 2008

big brain

This weekend is a big back “to college” weekend. I actually get to see this happen in action because I am making a work appearance at my alma mater, Westfield State College, this weekend. Ahhh...the memories of higher learning.

I'm not gonna say that I was a complete loser when I started college, but that's only because I don't want to say it out loud. Really. You don't believe me? Ok, try this. And these things are absolutely true. I have witnesses. I started school with a poof. Now, for many years I've been a fan of the shower poof. It cleans AND exfoliates. Can't beat that. I started college with a turtle poof. Yep. It had soft feet and head and the shell was the poof. Ask Chad. He might remember that. I think he made fun of me for it. Which, of course, he had every right to.

If you want more proof, ask Bobb (the extra b is for bombastic) about the Dateline hat. This hat was an epic piece in my personal history. I used to watch a lot of Dateline. How could you not watch a guy with the name Stone? I mean, seriously. His name is Stone! How could the chicks not love him?

Stone: Hey.

Lady: Hi.

Stone: My name Stone. I rock.

Lady: *swoon*

Heck, I just swooned a little!

So, this hat was covered in pins. There were pins of bands I liked, comic book characters and my name tag from Pizza Hut. My name was Spider-Man when I worked at Pizza Hut. Yeah. They let me put that on my name tag. Pretty rad, right? The hat weighed about 20 pounds. It was ridiculous.

I was lucky to have a cool roommate when I was a freshman. His name was Joe. Still is, as far as I know. He was sort of a minimalist. He could probably be one of those monks that doesn't own anything. I seem to remember him liking TV, though, so if the monks let him have cable, he might be ok.

Joe had 2 pairs of khaki shorts, 2 pairs of khaki pants, 5 white t-shirts and 2 button up shirts. I might be exaggerating for dramatic effect, but not much. My closet was FULL of clothes. He literally used about 10 centimeters of closet space. It was amazing...and empty. He had 2 posters. The Clash and Swingers. And he had a laptop computer. That is pretty much everything he brought to college. Oh, yeah, and a bar of soap. He was a clean boy. Still is, as far as I know.

I'm sure there's more to talk about. Maybe next week will be a college memory week. You can share your memories, too! Actually, I don't know how exciting my college memories are. It involves a lot of F-Zero on Nintendo 64 and Cartoon Network at 3am. Wow...that pretty much explains my four years of college...and, oddly enough, my current employment. Hmmm...I guess hard work is important. Woops.

I'm off to tell kids to study hard and stay in school.

Enjoy!

-DJJ (the extra J is for Jupiter!)

3 comments:

Robert Burgess said...

You forgot to mention your trench coat!
-Mr. Bombastic

Anonymous said...

What were you up to back at WSC? Did they invite back the most famous alumni from the Communications department?

And I thought you still used a pouf to this day. I think you were a bit girlier than I was when it came to shower products.

~Laura

I am DJ said...

I was there to talk on the air about stuff. They certainly didn't want me back! Work made me go there for a few hours to promote cable or something. I forget.

It was NOT a trench coat. It was just large on me!

Also, you should smell my shampoo. It's very girlie.