Tuesday, July 29, 2008

from forest hills to broadway

As some of you may know, I went to New York yesterday to audition for "Spider-Man: The Musical" on Broadway. Yep. I could be singing songs about webs and stuff. I can't think of what I would actually sing about, but I'm sure they would be spidery.

It has music written by Bono. Yeah. From U2. U2 loves Spider-Man. With or Without You is actually about Spider-Man and Mary Jane. True story. Bono told me that yesterday when I didn't talk to him because he wasn't actually there. So...yeah...100% true!

I went with Sarah Rose, Emily and Peter. Peter didn't actually want to try out for a part, so he was our cheerleader. Surprisingly, he looked pretty good with a skirt and pom-poms. I was skeptical at first about his decision, but I think his cheering helped us get through the long wait.

If you're interested in all the gory details about yesterday's adventure, sit back and relax! It started with a long drive and lots of traffic. Well...it wasn't TOO bad, but it wasn't great. Then, there was a quick bathroom stop in chinatown. That bathroom was scary, but not as scary as the one I'll describe later on.

We waited in line for about four hours or so. In that time, Sarah Rose and I found a store with a bathroom. We had to walk into their basement, which felt like a sauna, and try to find the doors for the bathroom, which you couldn't find because it was PITCH BLACK! Trust me, it was scary.

We also felt random droplets of water falling from buildings during the line wait. I don't know where they were from and I have a feeling I don't want to know. It wasn't rain because it was VERY sunny. Can a building make sweat? I'm beginning to think they can.

So, after waiting in line in the heat and building sweat (that's so gross) we finally got to the door to go in and sing our little hearts out. After singing (amazingly, I might add) we left. We had about a minute to impress the judges. I don't know how well we did because some other folks were asked to sing in front of a camera. We were not. That might not be good.

On the other spider-hand, it might be great because MAYBE they only wanted to tape people who they definitely did NOT want so they would remember who they really didn't want to come back.

I don't really believe that theory, but it makes me feel better about the day.

It was fun and totally worth it. I've met people who tried out for Broadway shows and I figured I never would. Now I have and there is still a slight chance I will be cast as Spider-Man. I really think I should have tried to stick to the wall when I sang...that would have impressed them. I'm like a wacky wall walker! (remember those things you got out of the quarter-machines at the supermarket? yeah...that's what I'm like)

That's a slice of my day in the city. I hope you enjoyed it! If you are casting for a superhero musical, keep me in mind. I can sing like Iron Man, Superman, and Batman as well. Just in case...

I'm off to stick to walls!

Enjoy!

-DJ

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cool is that? You'll be famous someday....I know it. :) Then you'll have to take a DNA test for Jake because I will try to steal all your $$. Muahhahahaha....Meg

Laura said...

Did you show them your superhero moves? Or go in costume? You do have a Peter Parker look already with your new glasses, so I'm sure you won some points for that.

Peter said...

My agent has informed me that you are in violation of terms set by the WMA and are considering seeking a libel suit. Libel? Maybe slander? Either way, in your blog titled 'from forest hills to broadway' you stated (and i quote) "Surprisingly, he looked pretty good with a skirt and pom-poms." in reference to me.

It is a proven fact that I UNsurprisingly look good in skirts. Nay, I look damn fantastic!

In the future I demand you get your facts straight. Will we see you for the repeat in September (when I actually audition)?