Thursday, December 4, 2008

tales by the fire

I'm a little confused about wood at the Basketball Hall of Fame. There are piles of wood in the basement. I never really explored the place before, but now that work is there, I've found out a few things.

This seems to be wood ready to be put into the fire. Now, it might be fun to work next to a toasty fire, but I'm not sure why it would be needed in a modern business. Is there actually a fireplace? This is definitely fireplace wood. You know, like when you buy a cord of wood. I'm not sure if it is an actual cord because I can't eyeball 128 cubic feet of wood stacked tightly, but I'm going to say it's similar.

So, why would a fame-hall for basketball need wood? Could I actually sit by the fire? Maybe regale you with tales from days of yore?

"Come sit by the fire, children, and let me tell you a story from my youth. I remember a day when video games could only give you 8 bits of data at a time. We called it a Nintendo Entertainment System. I know, strange name, but remember, those were strange times.

We only had two buttons to make our characters do stuff. Sorry, we used to call them characters, now you have avatars that represent you, but back in my day you were an Italian plumber and you liked it.

We also had things called cartridges. You've only seen discs with your games on them, but we had to put one box into another box. It worked well...most of the time. If it didn't, you could blow on it to make it work. And work it did.

Ahhh, kids, the old man is tired. I need to rest my old bones by the fire. Maybe tomorrow I can tell you about the days when we used to listen to cassette tapes. Those will be hard to explain. Boy, do I miss the hiss."

Are you regaled? I thought you might be. I'm too tired to go on.

I'm off to work on my Konami Code. up up down down left right left right B A Start

Enjoy!

-DJ

No comments: