Tuesday, July 21, 2009

mix tapes

Sometimes you notice that you are getting old. At least I do. I did when I asked a younger person about mix tapes. They don't have them anymore. They were so popular for years! Then they died quickly when digital media got so cheap and easy.

I would like to make a mix tape. I don't think anybody could listen to it, but I still want to make one. It was truly a labor of love. Especially when you had to go tape-to-tape. You had to find the song you wanted on one tape and then put it onto the blank tape. CDs made it a little easier, but it still took a long time.

And you wanted to hit pause on the tape deck because you would hear that click if you hit stop. Pause only made a slight "shwrit" noise. Much cleaner.

You could decorate the tape and the case for it. Usually with hearts because you made it for a girl you liked.

Now kids can buy and iPod and put 1000 songs on it and say, "All of these songs make me think of you." But back then, we had to pick the top 20-30 songs, so they REALLY had to mean something.

You kids have it so easy. We spent hours trying to impress girls. Now you can just transfer everything over to your mp3 player.

Did you ever make a mix tape? Decorated and everything? Or did you get a bunch of them? I still have mine. They're memories. I never taped over them. Kids can just delete the songs with the push of a button now. We had to get scotch tape and put it over the holes where the tabs were popped out.

Oh well...

I'm off to yell at those kids to get off my lawn.

Enjoy!

-DJ

No comments: