Friday, June 27, 2008

the last son of...melmac

I was reading an article about all those new sites that stream old tv shows. Now, I've been known to watch some tv shows online when I forget to record them or maybe I'm just bored and want to see if the show is any good. I've also bought a few tv shows on DVD because I like them so much that I want to watch them over and over and over again. But, I can't find the time to watch that much tv. I mean, I have comic books to read, plays to act in, candy to eat, planets to save and lions to tame. It's a busy life.

I saw that one of the sites has every episode of ALF on there. Wow...if that isn't just the greatest thing in the world, I don't know what is! I LOVED that show when I was a kid. I actually think that is why I quit acting when I was little.

In the 3rd grade, I was in a production of Oliver. I was a dancing/singing orphan and pickpocket. The problem was that rehearsals were on ALF night. As you may know, I'm pretty whiney. Well, imagine me younger and whinier. Yeah...it was not pretty.

Me: I wanna watch ALF!

Director: But you have to practice you dance moves.

Me: But my Ghostbusters blanket is at home on the couch! And my ALF is on the TV!

Director: Wouldn't you rather entertain the community with your wonderful singing?

Me: I'd rather you buy a tv for me so I can watch ALF instead of telling me to say "Please, Sir. Can I have some more?" Seriously? I don't want any gruel! I want candy!

Director: How would you like a punch in the face?

Me: ...what are the dance moves again...

I was an annoying little brat, wasn't I? Yes I was. It's a good thing I had understanding directors.

So, that's probably why I ended my acting career at such a young age. I was so scarred from missing ALF that I quit (except for a short stint as "Lazy" in the 4th grade production of "The New Year"...trust me, you don't want to know). After years of counseling, I was able to take it up again about a year ago. The audience isn't happy about that, but I am.

I'm off to practice my songs...."Fooooood, glorious foooooood!"

Enjoy!

-DJ

No comments: