Friday, November 14, 2008

it's not rocket science

It's just a blog. Well...sometimes it's a little like rocket science. I'm pretty sure when a rocket is in science class, it will write words. I also write words, so I'm a little bit like rocket science.

A bunch of folks at the Oxford University in England put out the "most irritating phrases in the English language." How did they decide on these phrases? I have no idea. It could have been 30 people sitting in a room saying things they hate hearing. So, since these 30 English teachers don't like the words, they have become law.

I personally love English teachers. I took a whole bunch of English classes at college. You wouldn't know it from my blog, but I did Minor in English. No joke. I know it's full of spelling and grammar mistakes, but those don't really bother me. I have a fairly unique writing style that does not require correctness. At the end of the day, I just write my blog to make sure the bosses think I'm working.

Now, I bet you didn't know that I just put three of those annoying phrases in that last paragraph! It's true! Would you like the list? Here it is:

1. at the end of the day
2. fairly unique
3. I personally
4. at this moment in time
5. with all due respect
6. absolutely
7. it's a nightmare
8. shouldn't of
9. 24/7
10. it's not rocket science

Most of those phrases don't bother me at all. Well, with the exception of "shouldn't of." That's just wrong. I am going to try to get all those phrases into a conversation. You should try it too!

Me: At the end of the day, I personally believe that candy is absolutely awesome.

You: I agree.

Me: Who couldn't figure out that candy would be the best thing at this moment in time? It's not rocket science! I mean, I could eat candy 24/7.

You: I agree.

Me: I'm scared...

You: Why?

Me: I was just thinking of a world without candy. I shouldn't of. It's a nightmare.

You: I agree.

Me: With all due respect, you don't talk much.

You: I agree.

Me: You are fairly unique.

You: What does that mean?

Me: I have no idea, but I had to get that last phrase in there.

That conversation isn't irritating at all! Those Oxford dinks don't know what they're talking about.

I'm off to study some rocket science.

Enjoy!

-DJ

No comments: